The only real surprise last night was Spartak Moscow's 5-1 win over Sevilla. All bar one of the matches sees a strong favourite today and if I am online, this warrants a live chat.
17:00 - Qarabag Fk v Atletico Madrid - 1.23 Atl Madrid
- A tough Group C featuring Chelsea and Roma who play each other tonight suggests a win v Qarabag is more expected than hoped for.
- 6-0 and 1-2 losses for Qarabag thus far.1-2 was the Roma away win and suggests a possible defensive set up.
- 0-0 v Roma and 1-2 loss v Chelsea will see Atl Madrid disappointed. There is little to get our teeth into form wise as regards Qarabag bar that 1-2 loss to Roma.
- Atl Madrid looked excellent at the weekend v Barcelona and more of the same tonight secures what should be a professional win by 2 goals I would suspect with that forward line.
19:45 - Anderlecht v Paris St-G - 1.17 PSG
- Thoroughly professional win for PSG in the league at the weekend although the curse of the Champions league nearly caught them as Dijon drew 1-1 but PSG managed a late winner.
- Group B comprises these 2, Bayern Munich and Celtic. It should be top spot for PSG.
- Anderlecht do look out of their depth in this competition. 2 consecutive 3-0 defeats v Celtic and Bayern Munich suggests more to come tonight. 3 goals are well within PSGs capabilities tonight and they should be striving for those 3 or more.
- Celtic and Bayern face off tonight so a point or points will be dropped by one of these teams. A win here for PSG will be a great foundation for trickier encounters to come. Having said that, they demolished Bayern at home (that was the trickier encounter I was suggesting - Bayern Munich).
19:45 - Barcelona v Olympiakos - 1.09 Barcelona
- For those following the live chat this weekend gone, there is one conclusions you will have come to. Panaitolikos v Levadiakos 0-1 and Levadiakos were being battered but did not concede. This is the Greek way. Group D sees Juventus and Sporting join these 2.
- I must say now that this is not the Olympiakos of old, the team we could all rely upon in the Super League.
- 2 draws and 2 losses recently in the Super league is UNHEARD OF for Olympiakos of old. And in Barcelona, they will likely face a tonking tonight. Barcelona were quite superb in the brilliant match with Atl Madrid at the weekend.
- 3-0 and 0-1 so far this campaign for Barca plays an Oly losing 2-3 to Sporting and 2-0 to Juventus.
- 1.09 odds does suggest 3/4 goals minimum from Barca and a goal at least before halftime. Greek sides can defend but there is no evidence of that domestically from Oly. If Barca are half as effective as they were v Atl Madrid, it is easy pickings.
19:45 - Bayern Munich v Celtic - 1.13 Bayern
- Rather dismissive of Celtic these odds, considering both sides have almost identical form. 3-0 wins over Anderlecht and an absolute spanking v PSG without scoring.
- Bayern were similar odds to this at the weekend and beat Freiburg 5-0 under their new manager.
- despite heroics in the odd historical Champions League match, recent Celtic wins have been v Linfield, Rosenborg, Astana and Anderlecht.
- When they met the big names in 2016, they simply could not win.
- Bayerns only recent loss at home in this competition was v Real Madrid so their home form is excellent. The market expects a repeat of the performance v Freiburg.
19:45 - Benfica v Man Utd - 1.86 Man Utd
- Man Utd under Mourinho should be built for the Champions League. He has even drawn his last 2 Premiership matches prior to this competition. That is how much of a priority he gives this competition. Will this sacrifice pay off tonight?
- CSKA and Basel are the other teams in Uniteds group and this does look an easy group for the Reds.
- 1-2 v CSKA and 5-0 vBasel suggests that Benfica may be finding it a bit tough with the big boys.
- Benfica have thrown in the odd positive result at home such as a 2-2 v Bayern, 1-0 win v Dortmund, 1-0 v Zenit and 1-1 v Besiktas who are topping their group.
- 3-0 v Basel and 1-4 v CSKA sees United as ruthless as they are in the Premiership. Collateral form? If Benfica are being beaten easily by a Basel team beaten easily by a United time, they 1.86 odds does look extremely generous about Man Utd.
- The market did grossly under estimate United away at CSKA and if I recall gave them similar odds to todays. I cannot see this current Benfica coping with this current Man Utd side.
19:45 - CSKA Moscow v FC Basel - 2.08 CSKA
- These 2 have a win each in Group A.
- With Man Utd likely to take 3 points against Benfica, this match takes on added significance.
- 1-2 win v Benfica and 1-4 loss to United, CSKA have had a strong winning run this competition beating the likes of AEK, Young Boys both over 2 legs.
- When Basel meet the big boys is when they start losing. PSG, Arsenal and Man Utd have all inflicted losses on Basel in this competition recently. Can we really lump CSKA with those 3? I do not think so.
- CSKA tend to get favouritism because I believe they play on an artificial surface.
- The beating of Swiss side Young Boys home and away might give the nod to CSKA as they meet another Swiss side tonight.
19:45 - Chelsea v Roma - 1.67 Chelsea
- It was the perfect storm for Woys Wevenge of Cwystal Palace. Post International and Pre Champions League caught Chelsea at their most vulnerable.
- Do not take that form to heart.
- Group C is a toughie and a 3 horse race betweeen these 2 and Atl Madrid.
- 6-0 v Qarabag and an impressive 1-2 win v Atl Madrid means a win here tonight will really see Chelsea with a great chance of qualifying. It is these matches v Madrid and Roma which shape this group.
- Roma drew 0-0 with Atl Madrid and beat Qarabag 1-2. Their 2016 Champions League campaign was very poor indeed.
- Only 1 win in 8 came v Qarabag. Not form good enough to trouble Chelsea who have only lost at home recently to PSG.
- 2 consecutive losses in the Premiership for Chelsea and they do not want this negativity to continue. I would not expect them to lose.
- Romas poor away form should really see Chelsea convert.
19:45 - Juventus v Sporting Lisbon - 1.36 Juventus
- One of a list of pre-Champions League casualties, Juventus are hoping to compensate tonight.
- Sporting only lost 0-1 to Barcelona, and beat Olympiakos 2-3 Juventus lost 3-0 to Barcelona and beat Olympiakos 2-0.
- Historically, Sporting simply lose in the Champions League away from home. 2 consecutive wins now though v Steaua Bucharest and Olympiakos is not strong enough form to have me or Juventus concerned.
- Juventus have beaten Barcelona and Monaco in the Champions League at home so can build on that this evening.