DRT Daily Research Bulletin, September 13, 2017
If I can make it, I will be on Twitter @drtclub. There are some stronger angles today in these matches than there were in the more straighforward matches and results in the Champions League last night.
19:45 - Feyenoord v Man City - 1.48 Man City
- Group F should revolve around Manchester City and Napoli with Feyenoord and Shakhtar Donetsk surely out of their depth in such company?
- 1-1 and 1-2 Man City. Bournemouth offer Feyenoord a template for tackling Man City. And it is to build from the back. The 1-2 result though reminds us that a side brimming with as much talent as City has the capability of turning a draw into a win at a moment's notice.
- 2012 and 2014 was the last time Feyenoord was in the Champions League and they lost every match.
- Last year, Man City had a pattern of scoring and conceding in the Champions League last year. Will that continue this year. If Feyenoord strike first, remember what City are capable of and expect that equaliser or even a 2nd goal.
- City were poor away from home, albeit they met, more recently, Barcelona, Mgladbach and Monaco. Feyenoord would be the weak link in this kind of company.
- I would really look to a 0-2 Man City starting point tonight. There were a multitude of wins to nil last night. Feyenoord really should struggle. The gulf in class between the Dutch Eredivisie and English Premiership is obvious.
19:45 - Liverpool v Sevilla - 1.72 Liverpool
- This is a Group E match.
- 2 wins v Hoffenheim for Liverpool saw them score and concede.
- Sevilla have lost only to Juventus and Liecester City since December 2015 in the Champions League. Sevilla scored and conceded in 3 of their last 4 Champions League matches.
- Sevilla has a poor away record in the Champions League.
- The market fancies Liverpool not to lose.
- I would be keen to lay Sevilla if Sevilla scored first.
19:45 - NK Maribor v Spartak Moscow - 1.89 Spartak
- This Group E sees Liverpool and Sevilla as well.
- Slovenian side NK takes on Russian side Spartak Moscow.
- Spartak Moscow were last in the Champions League in 2012.
- Maribor have had 3 1-0 wins in 4 matches in the Champions League. I don't have any angles here although the market thinks Spartak will play well despite a 5 year absence from this competition.
19:45 - Porto v Besiktas - 1.57 Porto
- This is a Group G match.Monaco, Besiktas, Porto and Leipzig.
- Porto lost home and away to Juventus last Champions League beginning of 2017.
- Porto were very competitive, beating Club Brugge, drawing with Copenhagen and beat Leicester without conceding a goal.
- Besiktas were last in the Champions League in 2016 and scored and conceded in 5 matches, score drawing 4 of them.
- If Besiktas do score it looks as if they will concede if that pattern continues. That is a ready angle for this match.
19:45 - RB Leipzig v Monaco - 2.4 RB
- Group G seesm these 2 possibly dominating with Porto and Besiktas the other sides.
- Leipzig are reaping the rewards of an excellent season last season and have yet to play in the Champions League.
- Monaco had a great Champions League last season beating the likes of Man City and Dortmund but they lost to Juventus home and away.
- I am not sure about the odds here today. Leipzig could surprise as they did last season in Germany.
- Monaco are excellent and Falcao is an eternal threat. I do think Monaco will worry Leipzig tonight but Leipzig are quite simply unreadable on their debut in this competition.
19:45 - Real Madrid v APOEL - 1.05 Real Madrid
- Group H is a toughie featuring these 2, Tottenham and Dortmund.
- Real Madrid 'sacrificed' a draw in the league in order to rest players for this match.
- Expect that to pay off.
- 1.05 suggests 4+ goals from Madrid and a goal before halftime at least. Teams from Cyprus/Greece will be well drilled defensively. The best angle in I see here is if the match is 0-0 after 20 minutes. I would then look to lay the 0-0 in the halftime score market or even back Real Madrid 1-0 or 2-0 correct scores in the Halftime Score market.
19:45 - Shakhtar v Napoli - 2.22 Napoli
- Group F sees Shakhtar, Feyenoord, Man City and Napoli. Expectation is for Napoli and Man City to dominate this group.
- Napoli lost to Real Madrid last year in the Champions League. They beat Nice in August home and away.
- Shakhtar seem to struggle v the best sides such as Real Madrid, PSG, and they beat and drew with Young Boys.
- I quite fancy Napoli this season. They look more efficient domestically and should cope with a Shakhtar side who blows hot and cold.
- I think Napoli can get a positive result. Shakhtar are prolific goalscorers domestically. I will lay Shakhtar if Shakhtar scored first though.
19:45 - Tottenham v Dortmund - 2.38 Tottenham
- A fascinating match.
- Spurs lost to Leverkusen and Monaco last season in this competition last season.
- Dortmund last season lost home and away to Monaco and lost to Benfica.
- This is tough to call with 2 sides faltering in the competition, yet filled with superb players.
- This Group H is very tough for APOEL who plays Tottenham, Dortmund and Real Madrid.
- Matches between the big 3 in this Group will be the key to success.