A tough night in a competition in which some teams treat it with contempt (Stand up AC Milan). I have researched as best as I can. Atl Madrid's match looks finished. Lazio were slovenly at home. They were comfortable but somehow it ended 2-2. Lyon looks the next 'readable' match. Not conceding 2 goals in the Europa League they should ensure qualification to the next round.
Milan seem uninterested in the competition if we judge the team selection from the first leg. I need to see Dortmund team news for their match v Red Bull. One of Red Bull's goals was a penalty which suggests Dortmund are still in this competition. Dortmund need 2 away goals in order to qualify.
16:00 - Lokomotiv v Atletico Madrid - 2.04 Atl
- 3-0 Atl Madrid in the first leg. They did not concede an away goal. All they need tonight is a 0-0 bare minimum to qualify.
- Atl Madrid can tolerate a 2-0 loss. They will seal the deal with an away goal this evening. This is the statistically best defence in Spain.
- If Lokomotiv win tonight it is likely to be a loss that ensures Atl Madrid qualification over 2 legs.
18:00 - Zenit St Petersburg v RB Leipzig - 2.78 home and away
- Take the hint from the market. They cannot split these 2 teams.
- It's 2-1 RB from the first leg, all 3 goals scored 2nd half. RB led 2-0 in this match.
- Zenit have that important away goal and will seek to 'do a Roma' i.e. win 1-0 with a 2nd half goal which does not give the Germans the time to score a goal which will see them through.
- The first goal therefore is vital tonight and we saw in the Champions League that when this is the case we generally see a 0-0 at halftime.
- There really is nowhere we can go with leipzig. This is new territory for them after making their solitary appearance in the Champions League.
18:00 - Dynamo Kiev v Lazio - 2.2 Lazio
- It's 2-2 from the first leg. Kiev took the lead, Lazio led 2-1 and Kiev equalised in the 79th minute.
- It is a dangerous game now for Lazio, conceding 2 away goals. I do think, however, that Lazio, if at their best, have the goals in them to score one or two away goals.
- Dynamo Kiev are unbeaten in 11 home Europa League matches.
- 2 consecutive 2-2 draws for Lazio in all competitions is a sequence I could see end.
- Lazio have scored and conceded in 6 of their last 7 away. That may not be enough today if the scoreline is 1-1.
- Lazio have 2 consecutive away defeats in the Europa League.
- Tough to call this one. Lazio should have done the job at home.
18:00 - Athletic Bilbao v Marseille - 2.34 Atl Bilbao
- It looked like a very straightforward win for Marseille away in the first leg. 1-3 Marseille with a Bilbao goal coming via a penalty.
- I am concerned with Bilbao's attitude to the Europa League.
- I say this because Atl Bilbao have an away goal. They need a 2-0 tonight in order to qualify in the easiest way possible.
- As to Marseille, an away goal will leave Bilbao floundering. Marseille can even afford a 1-0 loss this evening.
- Marseille are having a great season in French Ligue 1 and look set to continue that.
- Bilbao at home have 8 wins and 2 losses in their last 10 Europa League matches. Tough though to quantify the teams they have played against Marseille.
18:00 - Plzen v Sporting Lisbon - 2.68 Sporting
- 2-0 Sporting Lisbon in the first leg saw them keep Plzen from an away goal. If Sporting score an away goal, Plzen will need 4 goals in order to qualify.
- the first goal scored will be significant.
- 6 consecutive home wins for Plzen in the Europa League scoring 2 goals at least. The eternal problem is weighing up the teams Plzen beat as against today's opponents.
- Sporting have had an appalling away record but that is from 2016 and before.
- Look for Sporting Lisbon to score in order to put this to bed.
20:05 - Lyon v CSKA Moscow - 1.78 Lyon
- A tight 1-0 lead for Lyon from the first leg but more significantly an away goal.
- That was a 68th minute goal. Lyon we know (if you follow my French Ligue 1 research) are a goalscoring team. But I note they have only scored 1-1-1-1-1-1 recently.
- In the Europa League, Lyon have been ultra defensive. They have conceded 1-1-1-1-0-0-1-1-0-0 goals. A great foundation particularly if they only concede 1 goal today and score their traditional single goal.
- CSKA are infrequent visitors to the Europa League. 2012 the last time they were in the competition. 0-0, 1-0 win, 0-1 loss in their 3 Europa League matches in 2018.
- I think if Lyon score today, they should not concede 2 goals and that should secure their Europa League. Note they are not scoring the 2+ goals we usually expect of them in the French Ligue 1 so emphasis is on defence.
20:05 - Arsenal v AC Milan - 2.12 Arsenal
- This match is muddied by the contempt shown by Milan in the first leg. Their team selection was very much second string.
- A match I will leave alone. 0-2 Arsenal first leg sees clear advantage for a home side not conceding an away goal.
20:05 - Red Bull Salzburg v Dortmund - 2.28 Dortmund
- 1-2 Red Bull from the first leg of this Europa League match. Salzburg's first goal was a penalty.
- I did note a near first team for Dortmund so this result did shock me. A German Bundesliga side really should beat an Austrian Bundesliga side.
- A 0-0 does for Red Bull today. A 0-1 Dortmund does for Red Bull today on the away goal rule.
- I am not sure what to make of Dortmund here.