And still the big guns falter - Bayern Munich and Barcelona this week have faltered in 2 consecutive matches. What surprises lurk today? See you at 14:30 for a live chat.
SPANISH LA LIGA
12:00 - Sociedad v Valencia - 2.24 Sociedad
- 3-2 and 2-3 Sociedad and 2-3 and 2-1 Valencia in the last 4 head to heads.
- Both teams have scored in all bar 1 match for Sociedad. Looking at the head to heads, this is likely to continue today.
- No 0-0 at halftime. 1-2 v Barcelona and 2-2 v Rayo at home.
- 5 draws and a loss for Valencia,2 0-0's and a 1-1 last 3 matches.
- Valencia will win at some point. Lay any late draw in the hope that their draw sequence ends soon?
- Both teams to score?
15:15 - Barcelona v Athletic Bilbao - 1.15 Barcelona
- 3 consecutive Barcelona wins to nil in head to heads.
- 4 wins ended with a 2-2 and 2-1 loss for Barcelona. Surely Barcelona will not drop points here. If you think they are going through a dodgy period, lay them at 1.15.
- Both teams have scored in the last 4 for Barcelona.
- Both teams have scored in 4 of Bilbao's first 5 matches. No clean sheet for Bilbao.
- Bilbao may score today. Surely Barcelona cannot afford to drop points in the 3rd consecutive match.
17:30 - Eibar v Sevilla - 2.32 Sevilla
- Sevilla tend to win head to heads but Eibar won 5-1 last head to head.
- 1-2, 2-1, 1-0 Eibar at home this season. Only 1 clean sheet for Eibar.
- 6 and 3 goals in their last 2 matches for Sevilla, beating Real Madrid 3-0. They normally go undefeated at home when playing Real Madrid. Can they bring that momentum into this match?
- 4-0-6 goals scored away by Sevilla this season. Outscore Eibar?
19:45 - Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid - 1.94 Real Madrid
- 4 consecutive draws in head to heads.
- A match for the in-play stats. Real Madrid were dire v Sevilla mid week and need to improve.
- Atl Madrid will tend to set up to be very hard to score against. 2 of the draws 0-0 and 1-1 attest to that.
14:30 - Hoffenheim v RB Leipzig - 2.14 Hoff
- 4-0 and 2-5 Hoff the last 2 head to heads.
- Both teams have scored in all Hoff matches, 3-1 and 1-1 at home.
- Both teams have scored in 4/5 Leipzig matches. Wins came at home.
- I would suggest a score draw best case for Leipzig. Both teams to score but Hoff not lose.
- Probably a good match for a goal before halftime.
14:30 - Nurnberg v Fortuna Dusseldorf - 2.02 Nurnberg
- These 2 last met in the Bundesliga II.
- Indentical form, 2 wins, 2 losses, a draw.
- A match for in-play stats featuring 2 newly promoted sides.
14:30 - Schalke v FSV Mainz 05 - 1.68 Schalke
- Schalke have tended to win in head to heads but have lost the art of goal scoring this season.
- Schalke have failed to score in 3 of their last 4 matches, all defeats..
- Mainz 2 wins came at home. 1-1 and 1-0 away.
- It would take a man of great faith, or a Schalke fan, to back Schalke at 1.68 odds.
- They will win a match at some point and today may be their 'Bologna v Roma' day. The day where their season starts.
14;30 - Stuttgart v Werder Bremen - 2.5 Stuttgart
- It looks like the German Bundesliga has some tough to call fixtures. This match, and the next 2 matches, see the favourite at odds of 2.4 or higher.
- The home team won last year's head to heads without conceding.
- No win yet for Stuttgart. They have scored in only one match. They have failed to score at home.
- I was trying to find Werder in the league table, ignoring the top of the table but, lo and behold, there they are in 3rd spot.
- Werder are the Werder of old. Scoring and conceding in all matches and we have seen at least one goal before halftime in all of their last 4 matches.
- If Stuttgart continue to struggle to score, we may find it a stretch for our traditional Werder Both teams to score bet. Indeed, before halftime goal may rely on only one team and I would prefer both teams pulling for us.
- On current form, Werder should not lose, even in conceding but I ask you to note the market - which normally signals a too tough to call match.
- Traditionalist will be laying the 0-0 in the halftime score market.
14:30 - Wolfsburg v Mgladbach - 2.42 Wolf
- Yet another match where last season the home side won to nil and 3-0!
- Both teams scored in the Wolf's first 4 matches and that ended with a 0-0 last match.
- No win in 3 for the Wolf now. 2-1, 2-2, 1-3 at home. Over 2.5 goals and both teams scoring.
- Mgladbach's 3 wins have come at home. 1-1 and 4-2 away. Both teams scoring.
- A very small sample to work with has yielded little bar a feeling 0-0 sequence will end, both teams will score but not sure who will win. The in-play stats may reveal.
17:30 - Leverkusen v Dortmund - 2.6 Leverkusen
- The last 4 head to heads have seen the home side unbeaten.
- 3 losses and 2 wins Leverkusen.
- 3 wins came at home for Dortmund. 2 draws came away.
- Only 1 clean sheet Leverkusen came last home match.
- Leverkusen have 2 consecutive wins but have scored 2 goals only once, away to newly promoted Dusseldorf.
- Note 2 0-0's at halftime Leverkusen last 2 so I would take on any 2nd half 0-0.
ITALIAN SERIA A
14:00 - Roma v Lazio - 2.44 Roma
- The Rome Derby.
- 3-2, 1-3, 2-1 last 3 head to heads at Roma.
- I will not research derbies such as this. Let the in-play stats do the heavy lifting. Both teams to score?
17:00 - Juventus v Napoli - 1.76 Juventus
- Last year, the away side won 0-1!
- These 2 are likely to wrestle for the title. Napoli with a win will be on identical points with Juventus.
- Juventus's biggest test so far. 100% wins, scoring 2 goals at least. 5 wins and a shock 3-0 loss away v Sampdoria for Napoli.
- Fascinating match which I cannot call.
19:30 - Inter v Cagliari - 1.33 Inter
- I am impressed with Inter when able to watch them. Yes pear shaped 0-1 loss to Parma.
- 3 wins in 4 for Inter now after a poor start to the season is showing their true character I feel. 2-2, 0-1 loss to Parma, 2-1 at home. The Parma loss saw Inter MIlan UTTERLY dominate.
- Loss, Draw, Win, Draw, Loss, Draw for Cagliaria sees them offering very little form wise.
- Note the Inter 3 0-0's at halftime recently. No 0-0 at full-time.
- I expect a home win as does the market.
FRENCH LIGUE 1
16:00 - Nice v Paris St-G - 1.31 PSG
- Nice had a good 2016/17 season, going unbeaten. 3-0 and 1-2 PSG in the last 2 head to heads though.
- 3 wins in 4 for Nice were their only wins this season. The last 2 Nice wins were 2-1.
- All wins for PSG. Both teams scored in 5/6 matches. No 0-0 at halftime.
- We should expect a goal before halftime and PSG to be responsive if conceding first.
19:00 - Angers v Guingamp - 1.9 Angers
- 1-1 and 3-0 Angers last 2 head to heads.
- 3 defeats then 3 wins and a draw for Angers. Sudden improvement. 2 of the wins were 1-0 v the likes of Lille and Monaco. 2 sides known for goals.
- This does not augur well for Guingamp who have lost all matches bar a 0-0 last match. Guingamp have failed to score in each of their last 4 aways.
- I think Angers will eye the win here based on recent good form against really good opponents. It might be a 1-0.
19:00 - Caen v Amiens - 1.97 Caen
- The home side won last year's head to heads without conceding.
- Both teams scored in 5 of Caen's last 6 matches. Their only win came when they kept a clean sheet.
- 4 score draws, and 3 score draws coming at home. I did lay the late draw last match v Montpellier as I was keen to take on the 3rd score draw at home, and I will resurrect that angle today. 3 consecutive score draws at home is a sequence Caen are keen to see end, I am sure. And if they are conceding regularly, Amiens can be given a chance to end said draw sequence in their favour?
- Amiens 2 wins though came at home.Loss, Draw, Loss away.
- I would slightly favour Caen today and would lay any late score draw.
19:00 - Lyon v Nantes - 1.35 Lyon
- Lyon tend to beat Nantes in head to heads.
- 2 Lyon losses this season were 1-0. Ergo, if Lyon score (as they do in head to heads) they should win.
- 2-0, 2-0,0-1. 4-2 at home. 2-4-3 goals scored in their last 3 matches.
- Only 1 win for Nantes was a 2-3. 2 goals conceded in each of their away matches.
- It does look as if Lyon can score 2 goals at least today. Nantes have scored in 4 of their last 5 matches - they may score but not win today.
19:00 - Reims v Bordeaux - 2.52 Reims
- Last head to heads 2016.
- Newly promoted Reims.
- 2 1-0 wins augured well for Reims but since then, 1-0-0-0-1 goals scored and no wins.
- 0-1 and 0-0 since their opening home win.
- A draw and 2 consecutive wins for Bordeaux sees momentum with them.
- If Reims cannot score that 2nd goal, lay them if they score first. They have not scored a 2nd goal this season.
19:00 - Strasbourg v Dijon - 1.94 Strasbourg
- 1-1 and 3-2 Strasbourg in the league last season.
- Both teams have scored in 5 of Strasbourg's last 6 matches.
- Only 1 clean sheet and have failed to score in only one match.
- 1-1, 2-3, 3-1 at home for Strasbourg this season.
- Dijon started the season with 3 consecutive wins but since then, 3 losses and a 0-0.
- Failing to score in 3 of their last 4 matches will make Dijon vulnerable today, even if scoring first.
ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE
12:30 - West Ham v Man Utd - 1.92 Man Utd
- After 4 defeats, West Ham have a win v Everton and 0-0 v Chelsea. They are going to be a match for Man Utd.
- After conceding at least 2 goals in 2 matches, United have tightened at the back and 2 wins and a draw results. Those came v Burnley, Watford and Wolves. Hardly world beaters.
- This will be a tester for Man Utd and I would seek to lay them if they scored first as the value call and hope West Brom continue improving.
15:00 - Arsenal v Watford - 1.48 Arsenal
- Both teams have 4 wins. Arsenal's came in their last 4 home matches, Watford's in their first 4.
- The momentum is with Arsenal who are continuing to impress. 2+ goals scored in each of their last 5 matches.
- Both teams have scored in Watford's last 5 matches, draw and loss last 2 matches.
- Both teams could score today without Watford winning. Arsenal have had 2 consecutive 0-0's at halftime yet still managed 2 goals so look to respond if they have not scored by halftime.
15:00 - Everton v Fulham - 1.77 Everton
- Only 1 win for Everton 2 consecutive defeats v Londoners Arsenal and West Ham and they meet another London side today.
- Everton only failed to score in their last match. No clean sheets yet.
- Both teams have scored in 4 of Fulham's last 5 matches. Only 1 win for Fulham.
- 3-2-2-3-1 goals conceded by Fulham.
- Both teams could score with Everton not losing. With 2+ goals appearing in both teams' matches, expect a goal before halftime?
15:00 - Huddersfield v Tottenham - 1.5 Tottenham
- No win for Huddersfield.Only 1 clean sheet for Huddersfield.
- Huddersfield are yet to score at home.
- 3 wins, 2 losses v Watford and Liverpool, and another win for Tottenham.
- Huddersfield do not tend to score that 2nd goal so if scoring first, lay them. Tottenham should be eyeing 3 points here.
15:00 - Man City v Brighton - 1.11 Man City
- Man City are scoring for fun when expected to do so...bar the 1-1 away at Wolves.
- 6-2-3 goals scored at home for Man City. Only 1 0-0 at halftime.
- 2-2-1-2-2-2 goals conceded by Brighton should spell their doom today.
- Expect 2+ goals from City and for them to score before halftime.
15:00 - Newcastle v Leicester - 2.68 Newcastle
- 2-3 Leicester and 1-2 Newcastle in the last 2 head to heads.
- No win yet for Newcastle.
- 3 consecutive 1-2 defeats for Newcastle.
- No draw for Leicester. 2-1, 1-2, 4-2 away for Leicester.Leicester have scored in every match.
- Both teams have scored in Leicester's 5 matches.
- A goal for Newcastle? But can they keep Leicester from scoring 2 goals as they have done in 4 of their last 5 matches.
- 1-2 and 2-1 correct scores to trade?
15:00 - Wolves v Southampton - 1.86 Wolves
- Draw, Draw, Win at home for Wolves. First match was the only Match Wolves scored 2 goals in. They conceded 2 goals in their first 2 matches but not since. Wins therefore tend to be 1-0. 3 0-0's at halftime and none at fulltime for Wolves.
- Only 1 win Southampton. 2-2-0-2-3 goals conceded recently.
- Wolves could get something here but are walking on a tightrope if they seek to get their points scoring just the one goal. Southampton scored 2 goals v Palace and Brighton. Will that continue v Wolves.
17:30 - Chelsea v Liverpool - 2.54 Liverpool
- Revenge for Liverpool after the League Cup loss, or is Klopp happy to see the back of the Mickey Mouse Cup.
- I cannot call this match at all. These high profile affairs could go either way.
- Patterns? Well Liverpool like leading at halftime and winning.
- 2+ goals scored by Chelsea at home. 2 goals scored by Liverpool away in each match.
- Mid week the match came alive 2nd half so lay any 0-0 you see 2nd half.
15:00 - Celtic v Aberdeen - 1.38 Celtic
- Aberdeen won the last head to head. Not the norm.
- 3 wins at home, 2 1-0 for Celtic. 2 losses came away v Hearts and Kilmarnock.
- Aberdeen are yet to score 2 goals this season. Problematic if Celtic score. 0-1, 1-1, 1-1 for Aberdeen away. They failed to score only once.
- 1-1 looks best case scenario for Aberdeen today. Celtic, it must be said, are at their most vulnerable this season and Aberdeen should be smelling blood. The value is in a lay of Celtic if they lead. We did this successfully last match.
15:00 - Hamilton v Dundee - 2.52 Hamilton
- No draw for either of these 2 this season.
- Only 2 wins between these 2 belong to Hamilton.
- They have scored in their 3 home matches, winning only the last match v St Mirren.
- Dundee have failed to score in 4 of their last 5 matches.
- This will not get top billing this weekend!
- Speculators might want to back the draw to oppose the current draw-less sequence for these 2.
15:00 - Hearts v St. Johnstone - 1.63 Hearts
- Hearts have dominated recent meetings, keeping clean sheets.
- Hearts will not get a better chance to break the duopoly in the SPL than this season.
- They are already 5 points clear at the top, so early in the season. And must be winning matches like this at home.
- 5 wins and a 0-0 last match. The 0-0 was not a great surprise as Hearts were meeting Livingston who look a solid defensive outfit.
- 4 clean sheets in their last 5 matches for Hearts.
- St J's good results have been sandwiched between 2 defeats. I think they'll be vulnerable today against a resurgent Hearts and I will be with the home side throughout.
15:00 - Kilmarnock v Motherwell - 2.04 Kilmarnock
- I am liking Kilmarnock under Steve Clarke, ex of Chelsea.
- 2 consecutive 1-0 Killy wins in head to heads.
- Kilmarnock beat the big 2 of last season, Aberdeen and Celtic within their last 3 matches yet the market is still not impressed.
- 2 wins and a loss v Hearts at home augurs well for today for Killy.
- Motherwell have a single win, away v Dundee, this season. 2 losses away either side of that.
- I could see Kilmarnock build on that beating of Celtic today. The market does not even have them odds on versus a side with just a single win.
15:00 - St Mirren v Hibernian - 1.65 Hibs
- These 2 last met in the Championship.
- A great start to the season for St Mirren with a win but since then, 4 losses and a 0-0 v Celtic.
- They have failed to score in 4 of their last 5 matches.
- That was their sole clean sheet.
- Only 1 loss for Hibs. Hibs have scored in every match and expect that today.
- I would expect a Hibs win, or worst case, NOT to lose.