A quiet footballing day allows for a focus on the tennis (again!). I'll be tweeting again if there are any trades @drtclub and will be following football in-play stats for any possible football trades.
18:00 - GAIS v Trelleborgs - 2.48 GAIS
- 1-1 and 3-3 in the last 2 head to heads.
- This is 11th v 6th in the Swedish Superettan after 10 matches.
- Draw, Win, Win last 3 home matches.
- 3 of 4 defeats came away.
- Tend to score v 7th and lower and failed to score v 4th and higher. What will happen v 6th?
- Only 2 defeats.
- Scored and conceded in 4 of their last 5 matches.
- Only 1 away win.
- Losses this season came away v 2nd and 3rd.
- 1-1 draws v 11th, 12th and 13th.
- No 0-0.
- I would favour Trelleborgs today. GAIS have failed to score v top 4 but score v 7th and lower and play 6th today.
- I would lay GAIS if they scored first given Trelleborgs have scored 4 goals in 2 separate matches recently.
Navarro v Simona Halep - 1.35 Halep
- 25th v 5th.
- Interestingly Navarro have won the last 2 head to heads on clay albeit one was a walkover. It is in fact 5/5 on clay for Carla v Simona.
- Both players have a perfect 2-0 record so far in this French Open.
- I think that we will see a 3-setter today if Carla remembers that she has a perfect clay record v Simona.
- I would prefer Simona to win the first set as her odds will be shorter to lay than Navarro's.
Svitolina v Martic - 1.22 Svitolina
- 13th v 369th.
- On rankings alone, surely this is Svitolina's?
- Head to heads from 2014.
- Martic went through qualifiers to get here.She beat the likes of Madison Keys in 3 sets and beat Sevastova 6-1 6-1 - 26th in the rankings.
- With Linette taking Svitolina's 2nd set to 7-5 I think we will see a Martic fight back if Martic loses the first set, at least enough I'd hope to see an odds move.
Andy Murray v Karen Khachanov - 1.16 Murray
- 1st v 56th.
- No head to heads.
- 3 tie breakers for Murray in his last 2 matches. He has been made to work and that boy Karen may make him work today.
- 3 tie breakers v John Isner for Karen.
- Karen beat Berdych in 3 straight sets. Berdych does tend to get beaten consistently by Murray.
- For me Andy is layable at 1.17 odds. Far too short against a Karen who simply won't go away. We lose little laying at such short odds. Murray's odds v Del Potro exceeded evens so remember that.
- I would also lay Andy if Andy wins the first set. Odds will be even lower.
Verdasco v Nishikori - 1.63 Nishikori
- Note the odds. Similar to Raonic yesterday and he struggled.
- Expectation from the market is for same today.
- 36th v 7th.
- 3 consecutive recent Nishikori wins in head to heads.
- 5 setter here in France last year, and 2 tie breakers last head to head, one won by Nishi, one won by Verdasco.
- 4 sets, 3 sets (1 tie breaker), 5 sets for Nishikori. Impressed by his win over an in-form Chung and a note for us that Nishikori's odds are likely to be higher than 1.63 in play.
- 5 sets for Verdasco v Herbert.
- I cannot see a 3-0 today. With Nishikori and tie breakers being possible we saw last head to head, that both players won a tie breaker.
- I would lay any 2-0 or 2-1 leader.
- Nishi's odds may be too high to lay off the bat. I would lay at 1.3 and would back at evens or so.
Anderson v Cilic - 1.3 Cilic
- 66th v 8th.
- Head to heads from 2014. Still relevant? 4 sets US Open Cilic win and prior to that, both players won a tie breaker each in another Cilic win.
- What does this hint at? 1.3 may be too short for Cilic?
- Anderson has battled so far this French Open. He will not be winning 3-0! 2 tie breakers first match; 4 sets v Kyrgios; 5 setter v Edmund as I suggested in research (2 tie breakers and a 7-5).
- 3 3-set wins for Cilic who is yet to be tested. He has been class apart so far. 40th, 93rd, 169th are the ranked players cilic has beaten.
- No Cilic match has gone above 6-3.
- An interesting match with Anderson clearly up for the fight.
- 7th ranked Nishikori beat him in 3 sets (first to 2 sets format).
- I do think Cilic will win today and on that basis any significant rise in his odds I will back.
Wawrinka v Monfils - 1.37 Wawrinka
- 3rd v 17th.
- Head to heads come from 2011 so not really relevant.
- This is the shortest odds so far between these 2.
- Stan has had a tie breaker in each of his 3 matches which suggests he could be in with a chance of losing a set if Gael Tilsley can get him to 6-6.
- Gasquet retired v Monfils so an easy time of it last round.
- Tough to call as Monfils is one of a dwindling number of Frenchies left. My hope will be that Stan's odds rise at some point to enable a back at reasonably high odds.
Garcia v Cornet - 1.81 Cornet
- We saw with Sam Stosur yesterday that this should be a 3 setter. It happened yesterday and 1.81 odds suggests a tight match.
- 24th v 41st.
- 2010 head to head is irrelevant.
- Cornet was excellent v Radwanska who arguably didn't turn up.
- She has beaten 2 top 20 players (one was top 10) so I think Cornet will be very competitive today.
- Garcia has beaten largely high ranked players.
- Despite her surname, she is French and this battle of the Frenchies should be a 3 setter.
- Lay the first set winner.
Royg v Pliskova - 1.22 Pliskova
- 105th v 3rd and again such a rankings differential should see shorter odds for Pliskova.
- 2 consecutive 3 set matches for Royg so she should not be winning 2-0 if winning the first set.
- 69th, 88th, 83rd ranked players have lost to Pliskova. In 2 matches the first set went to 7-5 so a hint that the first set should be a tight one.